It is quite normal to compare the maintenance costs of running your car with your boat. However the operating requirements are totally different:
- Your boat engine runs continuously under HIGH load and HIGH RPM (300rpm and above)
- Your car engine by contrast only operates under high load and high rpm occassionally ( generally runs between 1000rpm and 2000rpm)
- Your Car cruises at 100kph will coast down inclines or benefot from the momentum of the car – it glides down the freeway using about 20hp to sustain its speed
- Your Boat engine cruising at 3000rpm is driving up a never ending STEEP HILL, while pulling a heavy trailer with the brakes dragging at 130kph. This requires an engine output of 100hp to 150hp to maintain its speed
- Your boat will sit for extended periods WITHOUT USE – this seldom happens with your car
- You would dread the thought of leaving your car for more than a week without giving it a quick run.
The demands on components, lubes and service life of boat engines CANNOT BE COMPARED TO CARS and we even see a trend in automotive to reduce the price of components which in many instances reduces their serviceability. This can result in a DONT FIX IT UNTIL IT IS BROKE approach to maintenance. And with 24HR Roadside Assist Service becoming more and more popular, a car breakdown is little more than a minor inconvenience.
Lets not forget also that sea water is far less forgiving than air as a cooling medium. Sea water is intrusive to the mechanics of the engine and corrosion is an issue whether you use your boat or not. Impellors, Anodes and anti corrosive maintenace are costs your car does not have to wear.
The circumstances are very different AT SEA SO OUR PHILOSOPHY IS ALL ABOUT PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE AND PEACE OF MIND.